Wednesday, September 9, 2009

August 23rd-- Tropical Storms and Goodbyes

After a hearty breakfast at the inn (yuuuuummmmmmm!), I loaded my bags into my car and checked out. Hurricane Bill was threatening to head our way and I had a busy morning (with a few altered plans from the original "see the eastern part of the island followed by a ferry to Nova Scotia and then a slow trip to New Brunswick")




(see my umbrella?)

Braving the rain, I made my way over to Cavendish Beach. It was chilly and rainy (and I was very shortly wet and soggy!), but the dunelands and cliffs don't need perfect weather to be beautiful.











Stark and lovely, storm-tossed, counteracted by the soft grasses and flowers.

In a sense, I was sad that I didn't have a chance to see this in the sunlight, but even in this spitting rain and wind that turned my umbrella inside-out multiple times and soaked me to the bone, I loved scrambling out onto the rocks. The sea and shore have moods and this one didn't fail to endear those red cliffs to me.

"The Four Winds light was built on a spur of red sandstone cliff jutting out into the gulf. On one side, across the channels, stretched the silvery sand shore of the bar. On the other, extended a long, curving beach of red cliffs rising steeply from the pebbled coves. It was a shore that knew the magic and mystery of storm and star. There is a great solitude about such a shore-- the woods are never solitary-- they are full of whispering, beckoning, friendly life. But the sea is a mighty soul forever moaning of some great, unshareable sorrow which shuts it up into itself for all eternity. We can never pierce its infinite mystery. We may only wander, odd and spellbound, on the outer fringe of it. The woods call to us with a hundred voices but the sea has one only, a mighty voice that drowns out souls in its magestic music. The woods are human, but the sea is of the company of the archangels." LMM, Anne's House of Dreams, Ch. 9


(continuing in another post, since this one is so image heavy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment