Saturday, September 5, 2009

August 22nd part 1-- Medal Games and McLobster!



Back to Summerside Saturday morning in full uniform (and with a stop at Tim Horton's in Kensington for a bagel, muffin, and coffee. I felt rather like a local as I manuvered into the drive-thru and rolled out my order with nary a pause... not like the day before!) for day 2 of the Canada Games. By this point, the road to Summerside was straightforward and familiar, so I was able to fully enjoy my morning drive (and that chocolate chip muffin.... yum) without worrying about being late or lost. They were starting to set up for the men's and women's gold medal basketball games when I walked into the VIP area.... and snapped a few shots before having to get to work neatening up the counters, etc.



This morning was exciting... and fun. Nova Scotia made it to the men's medal round against Quebec, so the stands and VIP room were packed. The game, itself, was close and even we volunteers bounced between serving at the bar, neatening up (not that we needed to do much of that! This is Canada, after all, and everyone, in general, picked up after themselves and recycled and COMPOSTED!) , and watching over the ledge around the VIPs themselves and the media crew. Quebec did win in the last few seconds of the game, which brought the mood of the room down considerably, but that was fantastic to watch, nonetheless.

I met the Nova Scotia 2011 Winter Canada Games representatives and let them know that, if no surprises come up, I'll be in Halifax as a volunteer for their games! I can't wait to see the amazing rink that they're supposedly upgrading for the games (and I want to volunteer early enough to get VIP or security or, heck, seat cleaner :-P at the Figure skating medal rounds.... or for a few good hockey games!)

The women's medal game was between Alberta and British Columbia, two provinces far from PEI, so the crowds were much smaller and the VIP lounge virtually empty. That game, too, was exciting and we squeezed in watching the game as we packed up the lounge-- everything had to head over to Charlottetown for week 2. It was sad to see everything go. We remaining volunteers traded e-mails and hugs (I was lucky to volunteer with the same two ladies two days in a row, both of whom were wonderful, as well as a lot of great and interesting people over the two days.)



Afterwards, I changed up my top and set my GPS for Charlottetown!



Stopping for a McLobster to go (mmmmmmmmmmmm)

No comments:

Post a Comment