Thursday, August 20, 2009

Last Night and Today (August 19th- 20th)

Uploading images has been taking me longer than I expected (can you say TOO good a camera? My little computer doesn't have the software that I use on my other computer to shrink the images, so I have to go through the web.. hence slower upload speeds.) Images might be a bit sparse until I can either do a speedy upload and post them all in one BIG clump or edit these posts to have the right pictures...

Sooooo.. "Let us start at the very beginning, a very good place to start...":

The flight in was good-- the plane was empty (there were only eight of us), the flight attendant was in a good mood, and we arrived early. The customs agent was incredibly nice and told me quick stories about when he was a Canada games athlete in the last winter games... in the Yukon. And the rental car girl was nice, funny, and had everything ready for me on the spot-- I guess rental traffic was light at that hour. And the car? Brand new, with a new GPS, no cruise control, and a nice cd player that I promptly put to use with an audio book.

It IS a 1:45-2 hour trip, after all. At 10:30 pm. It was either an audiobook or endless amounts of coffee, and the audiobook won.

The drive was uneventful. I loved seeing the Moose crossing signs and "WARNING, MOOSE!"signs all along the roads in New Brunswick, though I sadly (but fortunately) didn't see one antler. And the Confederation bridge was amazing... you drive on and on, almost forgetting that you are on a bridge. If I had less common sense, I would have stopped to take a picture of the bridge at night, but even my craziness has limits.

First impressions of the island when I arrived (beyond: "Ohmigosh, WHERE THE HECK is the GPS taking me???" thanks to its love of unpaved roads and avoiding highways. Only one unpaved road last night, a few today, though):

1. I passed the McCain potato processing plant just as I entered the island and for a while there, the air smelled of french fries... yum

2. It was too dark to have any other impressions, really. The (very!) polite truck drivers and I had our high beams happily lit up for miles.

3. The Inn where I am staying was lit up last night, the front porch shining in the dark. It's a really pretty place and a nice first impression for this weary traveller.


Aand... it's late here and I have to be up early for... Canada Games, so I guess I'm not getting into today, afterall.

Tommorrow is another day, I'll blog then!

No comments:

Post a Comment