Friday, August 21, 2009

August 20th-- LMM Day for Carli

First things first, just a up-to-date Carli update... I'm rosy cheeked from the sun, tired from sightseeing and the Canada Games, and full of foods I -shouldn't- be eating. So, obviously, I'm well. I've found CBC radio (you all knew I would!) and am happily listening to the CBC inbetween monitoring the course of the hurricane. I DO have a contingency plan for leaving the island on the west side via the Confederation Bridge on Sunday if he does decide to visit this island. And, as I drove back to the hotel tonight, I noticed that I've started to hear a slight Islander twang in my accent-- not too big a surprise, it was bound to happen... I'm an accent chameleon.

Anyway, Thursday:

I was up late in the morning and took a long shower in the tiniest bathtub I have ever seen, with the lowest shower head-- at about my nose at the highest point. I threw on my comfy green dress and sandals and headed down for french toast with strawberry preserves, and then I started my journeying.

First to Summerside, to pick up my volunteer uniform at the Credit Union Centre. Into the car I went, turned on my GPS, and I was on my way. I had seen very little in the dark the night before, so the beauty of the island hit me full force that morning. Five minutes into my drive, I had to pull over to take a picture. Soon, I learned that this practice, while safe because there were few other drivers on the road, was not conducive to getting anything done. Away went the camera (well, most of the time).

PEI: take the greenest, rollingest hills that you've ever seen. Turn all of the soil around and in those hills red or reddish-pink, add unexpected glimpses or views of water the bluest blue you can imagine, add trees and wildflowers. It really takes my breath away.

I did make it to Summerside, finally, and picked up my red and yellow uniform tops. Then, it was back on the road and off to site #1 of my travels: LM Montgomery's birthplace in New London. In this tiny house on this little province, one of the greatest authors of all time was born. This place houses a large collection of her scrapbooks and it was fun peering into them through the glass display case. The ladies who worked there laughed as I proclaimed my love for the Emily novels along with my assertion that if Anne, in all of her talkative glory, were real, I'd bop her and tell her to quit chattering. Right afterwards, they, too, confessed that their favorite heroines were not Anne, either.

Then, it was off to Park Corner and the Montgomery homestead. The trip out there had a major breath-stealing moment as a I crested a hill and, beyond that hill was a pool of the bluest, bluest water ever. Even moreso than what I described earlier in this post. It was as if someone took a sapphire and just dropped it, into the ground.


(On the way up the road from the Birthplace to the Homestead!)


(Senator Montgomery's Home.. that big rock out front is the "Pulpit Stone" that inspired the one in "The Story Girl")



(Silver Bush-- the Campbell Home)


(THE Blue Chest of "Story Girl" fame... though the real tragic love story belonged to a real person-- Eliza Montgomery and not the fictional Rachel Ward.)

Busy day and exhausted, I must get to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment